‘PANDEMIC – The Beginning Of The 21st Century
Prof. Lucey believes that we should call this COVID 19 pandemic what it is - “a millennial change time, not just an interruption in ‘business as usual’, but a change-making moment”, and that the imminence of vaccines is “more the end of the beginning than the beginning of the end”.
Jim reckons that we are simply at the beginning of a century of change and, against the backdrop of fascinating, illustrative, notable historic figures and events, he gives us the benefit of his wisdom and experience gained and garnered over 35 years practising in Mental Health services by sharing his top 10 tips / skills for moving forward, and to help us cope in this time of siege, social isolation and stress.
In the webinar you will hear Prof. Lucey’s take on:
- Why we were so unprepared for something like COVID-19
- What the real “unprecedented” aspects of this pandemic are, on a scale that we’ve never seen before, e.g.
- not virologically, but global social isolation
- the impact of being “under siege”
- the momentous change in social interaction and in the ways we organise our towns and cities, and in how we live our lives in our families and homes and workplaces
- why this change is not temporary
- Our own history, leadership and the language we use around this particular crisis, and how they each contribute to our “recovery”:
- the false dichotomies, e.g. “lives -v- livelihoods”
- the significance of the enormity of the stress and debt we’re experiencing
- what is a “healthy economy” or a “healthy society” to restore to?
- why it is a time for “reinvestment and rethinking of investment in our Health Care based on the science, data, evidence, and the facts”
- the way forward …..in a rational fashion – what will the world look like after Coronavirus? Four possible futures mooted include:
- State Capitalism
- State Socialism
- Mutual Aid
- Review our mental health toolbox:
- supporting, maintaining and extending our “Mental Capital” throughout life
- why a mindful solution that helps us live in a compassionate, non-judgmental way, sustainedly with resilience, is the beginning
- “You Are Not Your Brain” - the 4 steps/tools to ending destructive behaviours, changing bad habits, and taking control of your life
- the CHIME framework for personal recovery
- Advice for the way forward (“10 Skills For Self-Healing”)
Prof. Jim Lucey is the former Medical Director (Master) of St Patrick’s Mental Health Services, Dublin (2008 – 2019).
He has been a Senior Lecturer in Psychiatry at the University of London (1993-1997) at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London, and at The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (1998-2002) and is currently Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Trinity College Dublin. Prof. Lucey has more than 25 years’ experience in psychiatry, and in addition to medical management he maintains his clinical practice at St. Patrick`s where he works on the assessment, diagnosis and management of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and other anxiety disorders.
He is a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland and of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in London, as well as a member of the College of Psychiatry of Ireland. Prof. Lucey gives public lectures and is a regular broadcaster on mental health matters on RTE radio and speaks on mental health at CPD Board conferences.
|Category of CPD:
|Category C / B / A