Module 8: 11.00am – 12.30pm (1.5 General CPD Points)
Tuesday 4th December 2018 = Seminar 8(a) in the Postal Booking Form
Tuesday 11th December 2018 = Seminar 8(b) in the Postal Booking Form
‘The Medical Report – Getting Inside The Head Of The Medical Expert’
Dr. Jean O’Sullivan, Consultant in Emergency Medicine at Tallaght Hospital, senior lecturer in Emergency Medicine at Trinity College Dublin, and medical adviser to the Personal Injury Commission (PIC), will give us a valuable insight into the perspective of the medical expert in personal injury cases.
Dr. O’Sullivan’s Objectives Of This Talk:
1. Highlight the pitfalls in medico-legal reporting
2. Focus on key essential elements you should look for in any assessment of your client’s injuries
3. Discuss the facts and fiction surrounding whiplash injuries and assessment
4. Explain in detail the new assessment standards that will become part of every medico-legal report
5. Provide a useful insight for your client and how to prepare for a medical assessment of injuries
6. An overview of a good medico-legal report
7. Update us on whiplash assessment standards following the PIC Report
8. The new PIAB template which Medical Practitioners will be asked to use going forward.
Dr. Jean O’Sullivan is a Consultant in Emergency Medicine at Tallaght Hospital and a senior lecturer in Emergency Medicine at Trinity College Dublin. She was the Medical Adviser to the recent Personal Injury Commission chaired by Mr. Justice Nicholas Kearns and has recently been appointed to the Board of the PIAB.
Dr. O’Sullivan is a member of the Medico-Legal Society of Ireland and has worked as a medico-legal expert since 2008. She is a Director of Medico-Legal Ireland, Dublin.
Dr. O’Sullivan became a Fellow of the College of Emergency Medicine, London in 2008 and in 2012 successfully completed a Diploma in Forensic and Medico-Legal Medicine at University College Dublin.
In 2008 she founded an international charity, Global Emergency Care Skills, and has worked extensively throughout Africa. In 2004 Dr. O’Sullivan was awarded Membership of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine at the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland. In 2003 she was awarded a Diploma in Sports and Exercise Medicine at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and in the same year was awarded the Membership Examination in Accident and Emergency Medicine at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Dr. O’Sullivan is an honours graduate of University College Cork (1999).